Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Week one in the Land of Tea

Well, I survived my first week in England and at long last have sat down to create a blog.
So far the two most common phrases (I would hear these up to six times a day) are:

"Hello there, you alright?"  translation  "hey, how's it goin?"
"More tea?"  translation   "more tea?"

Not surprisingly then, I have had 4 to 5 cups of tea a day, and have now officially been here for 10 days - you do the math. Yeah, good thing I like tea. 

My first impressions of the country are mixed. Everyone here is incredibly polite, and I read a quote last week which suggested,

 "If an Englishman were run down by a truck, he would apologise to the truck." 

...which I'm discovering is probably true. 


There is so much history here it blows me away. I knew there would be, but seeing it everywhere is sending me down the path of information overload; my idea of 'old' is a few hundred years, while here 'old' is 10th century... 

Dedicated tourist as I am, I've been out and about almost every day, and my list of 'seen' is growing - much to the displeasure of my wallet as public transport is very expensive here; and my feet. The list as it currently stands:

Aldershot (yes, it counts even though I'm living there)
London, twice: walked around and saw Nelson's Column, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar square, Covent Garden, the Tower of London and London Bridge, then swanned around with the crowds on Oxford and Regent street. 
Guildford
Chawton (Jane Austin's House)
Selbourne
Winchester (for Winchester Cathedral)
Camberley

I'll start blogging on specific photos or places after this, and as soon as I come to grips with how this blog works I'll start posting in a more organised fashion.

Bye for now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment